At Complete Family Dentistry, we are committed to helping you achieve your best dental health possible through regular dental cleanings and dental exams. The number one way people lose their teeth is by losing the bone that holds their teeth in their mouth. The primary cause of bone loss is infected gums. This happens to everyone if we go too long without having a deep teeth cleaning. The infection in the gums gets deeper, and eats at the bone that holds the teeth in the mouth. When we lose too much bone, the teeth then become loose, and have to be extracted. That’s how people end up in dentures. We want your teeth to last a lifetime. Our team will work with you in achieving and maintaining healthy gums and bones!
Your Routine Dental Cleaning and Exam
How often you need a cleaning will be determined by your dentist and dental hygienist. The point of a cleaning is to remove the infection in the gums. In between visits, the infection returns. Our dental hygienists will monitor you each appointment, and adjust the time between visits so that you come in before the infection returns. No infection, no bone loss. No bone loss – no tooth loss! With our dental hygiene, you get far more than just “cleaning”. Each visit with our hygienist will include any and all services necessary to achieve your best dental health:
- Comprehensive Examination: Our dentists will complete a full check of your mouth which consists of the following procedures:
- Medical history review: Our dentists will keep up to date on any existing medical conditions in order to take proper care of your dental health.
- Diagnostic Radiographs: It is important to have up-to date x-rays with your regular cleaning appointments. Our dentists will examine each x-ray for tooth decay and bone loss.
- Oral Cancer Screening: During your examination, routine cancer screening is performed.
- Gum Disease Screening: Our dentists will evaluate your gums for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination for tooth decay: In addition to reviewing your x-rays, our dentists will examine each tooth surface for decay.
- Examination of existing restorations: If you have existing restorations such as tooth fillings, dental crowns, etc. our dentists will examine each one to ensure they are still in good health.
- Oral Hygiene Cleaning: Our dental hygienists take extreme care when it comes to maintaining a healthy smile. A full cleaning appointment consists of the following procedures:
- Removal of plaque and tartar (calculus): Over time, food, saliva and bacteria can form a film on the teeth that can produce toxins that inflame the gums and tissues. If left untreated, plaque and tartar can cause periodontal disease. Our hygienists will successfully remove any build-up with special dental instruments, helping maintain your dental health.
- Teeth Polishing: Polishing helps remove stains that could not be removed during regular brushing.
- Fluoride Treatment: During your cleaning, you will be given a fluoride treatment to protect and harden the enamel of your teeth.
- Oral Hygiene Recommendations: Our hygienists will review proper brushing and flossing techniques and will recommend oral hygiene aids for your unique needs (electric toothbrush, special cleaning aids, etc.)